Retinol is a popular skin care product that can be harmful for pregnancy. Instead, try out these amazing Retinol alternatives to keep your skin clear.
Dealing with body issues, eating disorders, and skin issues can be magnified when you’re pregnant.
Previously, when it came to skincare, Tretinoin (aka Retin-A) was my absolute holy grail. If you haven’t heard of Retin-A, it’s a form of vitamin A that is commonly used to treat acne. It can improve signs of aging, and it has worked wonders for my skin ever since I started using it. You can read my in-depth, pre-pregnancy nightly skincare routine with tretinoin here.
However, the high levels of vitamin A in Retin-A can harm the baby and cause what is known as Fetal Retinoid Syndrome.
So when I discovered that I was pregnant, I had to give up my beloved Retin-A. Fortunately, this doesn’t mean there are not plenty of skincare products that are natural, healthy, and that you can substitute in its place. Here is what I have been doing to prevent my naturally oily skin from breaking out and trying to keep the glow that Retin-A seemed to be doing for me in fading sun spots and preventing unwanted lines from sun damage.
Using Sensitive Skin-Friendly Cleansers, Moisturizers and Serums: Here Are My MUST-Have Skin Care Products:
- Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser: I don’t do much else to clean my skin aside from using Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser. This has been my holy grail since my mid-twenties, and I noticed a huge difference. I prefer the gentle skin cleanser far more than their facial cleanser because it is non-drying and SO gentle and light.
- Cetaphil Body Lotion: A must for sensitive skin. It prevents dryness and surges your skin with enough moisture without going overboard.
- Ole Henriksen Banana Bright Eye Crème: This is great for brightening the eye area and has proven to work well with my sensitive skin!
- Kiehls Clearly Corrective Dark Spot Serum: This has been and will continue to be my go-to, especially for correcting post-acne marks!
- Caudalie Vinoperfect Sérum: This is quite the splurge, but I have to say it’s been the most worth it during my pregnancy! I bought a big bottle right when I found out, and ever since, I have gotten compliments on my skin looking more like a pregnancy glow, and I credit it to this, plus it’s just so gentle on your skin!
Sticking Solely to Clean Beauty Products
I made the switch to clean beauty, and you can read my favorites in my clean beauty reviews! I swear by these products to keep my skin clear and free of breakouts, even with back-to-back full glam days!
Less is More
I know how annoying it can be to say this but with makeup and dealing with sensitive skin — this is the case! Now that I can’t use my retinol to ensure my skin stays clear, I try my best to go light on foundation and give my skin some days out of the week off from any makeup! For a quick no-makeup makeup look, I will often use Ilia True Skin Serum concealer to brighten my under eyes and other areas that may need it and fill in my brows, and voila – I’m good to go!
Sunscreen Like No Other!
Without Retin-A, I make sure to do my part to prevent sun damage and load up on SPF! I love makeup with SPF in it, especially in foundation for an extra layer of protection too. You can check out my favorite clean beauty SPF products if you’re looking for sunscreens that work with my sensitive skin.
Satin & Silk Pillowcases
This beauty hack makes all the difference, especially for heavy sleepers that twist and turn. I used to wake up with lines on my face from the roughness of the cotton pillowcases and there’s no doubt that after a while those lines can lead to more unwanted lines, so a silk pillowcase is a must in my pregnancy night skincare routine. This is my favorite affordable satin pillowcase from Kitsch.
Facial Beauty Tools
I always have and continue to believe in the power of facial beauty tools. The more I massage and really prep my skin with facial tools and serums the more my skin seems to benefit from a glow and keeping clear. Check out these facial beauty tools – from the gua sha to the ice roller, to the jade roller. These are some of the great facial beauty tools that I love that are all under $30!
Do you have any suggestions for me or any expecting moms out there?
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases on affiliate links. As a customer, you do not pay any more or less because of an affiliated link. Thank you for your support of Just Living Blog!