This week, I made a reel regarding a quick but yummy recipe for homemade frosting that was going on top of a deliciously decadent homemade ice cream cake. I was in the process of helping my mom make a birthday cake for my brother when I realized that this special family tradition and recipe was one that called for both a tutorial and a feature on the blog, thus bringing you this latest read.
Growing up my mom, who I refer to as Little Ma, would make our ice cream crazed family a homemade ice cream cake on each birthday. These cakes were part of what made our birthday celebrations so special each year. Most of my friends were accustomed to the store bought ice cream cakes and don’t get me wrong those are delicious, but nothing beats this recipe!
So next time you are looking for a special way to celebrate your loved one and want to mix it up from your usual store bought or quick easy cake mix, try this ice cream cake recipe out!
Ingredients for the Cake:
2 Quarts of Ice Cream
A jar of Fudge Sauce
Package of Oreo Cookies
3 tablespoons of butter, melted
Ingredients for Frosting:
Box of powdered sugar
1/2 Cup of Butter
Teaspoon of Vanilla
5-6 Tabelspoons of Milk
Two 8 inch Cake Pins
Two Mixing Bowls
Zip Block Bag
Directions For Cake:
- Using a package of Oreos- put into a zip block bag and use a rolling pin to smash them (if you don’t have a food processor)
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter and combine it in a bowl with the crushed up oreos and mix them together. After mixing set aside.
- Line two cake pans with parchment paper, scoop ice cream to form a smooth layer two thirds of the way up the side.
- Top one side with a layer of fudge. Then put half a layer of crushed cookies onto the fudge. Then put the other half of cookies on the non fudge ice cream.
- Put both pans in the freezer for three hours.
Directions for Frosting:
1. Using a mixer, blend the half a cup of butter and a box of sugar.
2. Once mixed add a teaspoon of vanilla and 5-6 tablespoons of milk.
- Place one of the pans cookie side down onto serving platter & remove parchment paper.
- Once first layer is on platter place the next layer cookie side down on top, remove parchment paper.
- Frost top and sides with frosting quickly and decorate as you want.
- Once frosted put back into the freezer for at least two hours.