Halloween season is one of our favorite times of year! Of course, Halloween will look a little different this year, but one thing we can still do that’s fun, safe, and festive is a Halloween movie marathon!
We are VERY different when it comes to movie preferences — Maddie loves scary movies and Sara can’t handle anything remotely scary. So whether you love or hate horror, we’ve got you covered! Below are our top picks:
Maddie’s Scary Picks
If you are an avid horror film consumer like myself, you have probably seen your fair share of movies that lead you to question both the industry standards and your own interest in this genre. Finding a horror film that is both well done and terrifying is almost as much of a challenge as finding a movie about dogs that doesn’t leave you ugly crying. So, when you do find a good one that dose of thrill makes you forget all about the time you’ve wasted on cheesy films. This explains why I took it upon myself to put a list together of some of the scariest and well-done horror films to save you the time and disappointment during this spooky season.
- Strangers (2008)- The remote setting of this film, the creepy disguises worn by the strangers, and the disturbing scare tactics, this film does not fall short in striking absolute terror and fear into its viewers. In the off chance that these elements of horror aren’t enough, the fact that this film was loosely based on true events is enough to haunt you for years to come. Seriously watch this film and tell me you don’t psych yourself out whenever you are home alone at night. Okay maybe that’s just me but seriously the fact that it’s been twelve years since this film debuted and I still find myself scarred by the images of the stranger’s masks, should be a clear indication of the level of scary of this film. Where you can watch: Amazon Prime
- Get Out (2017)- This one has received lots of attention the past few years and deservingly so as it is a masterpiece. While this feels more psychological thriller, it makes the list for this season’s binge watch as you’ll be on edge throughout the entire film. Without giving away too much, Jordan Peele who is the genius writer and director, manages to deliver a film that is both thriller and political centering around race. Where you can watch: Amazon Prime
- You’re Next (2013)- In my opinion this is a very underrated and underplayed film that deserves more attention. You will squirm and cling to whoever is sitting next to you in anticipation of what comes next. As you can probably notice, horror films and suburbia seem to go hand in hand, and this film does not fall short in making one second guess moving to a remote area. This may take place in a rather expensive looking vacation home, but what begins as an elegant dinner turns into an evening of terror for the family. Where you can watch: Amazon Prime
- Hush (2016) – Again, without sounding like a broken record, this is a film that features a terrifying incident that takes place in a remote setting none other than the woods. With that being said, this Netflix original, evokes even more terror in the viewer as they watch the protagonist, a deaf female, try to fend for herself when she finds herself locked in her house with a murderer. Where you can watch: Amazon Prime
- The Shining (1980)- It goes without saying that this is a must-see for any list that entails thriller, horror, or suspense. As a twenty something years old who has been spoiled by advancements in technology, it can be harder to appreciate classics. However, this is one that we can all admit is terrifying! This film doesn’t just play into the eeriness of living in an isolated mansion out of touch with the rest of the world but it hits on relationship fears of not truly knowing your partner. Where you can watch: Amazon Prime
Sara’s Non-Scary Picks
1. Halloweentown: This was my favorite Halloween movie as a kid! There are four movies in the series, but the first one is definitely the best in my opinion. Such a fun movie, even as an adult! Where you can watch: Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime
2. Twitches: I was obsessed with Tia and Tamera Mowry when I was younger, so this was a must watch every Halloween at my house. It’s still a really cute movie as an adult! Where you can watch: Disney+
3. Hocus Pocus: You can’t have a Halloween movie list without this one…and for good reason! This is a timeless classic that is a must watch! I don’t know how I made it all the way to adulthood before seeing this movie, but now that I have, I understand all of the hype! Where you can watch: Disney+, Amazon Prime
4. The Nightmare Before Christmas: This is a great crossover to transition from Halloween to Christmas season. I recommend watching it on Halloween night or even the day after Halloween to get you into the Christmas spirit! The animation is so cool and unique! Where you can watch: Disney+, Amazon Prime
5. Get Out: Okay, this one isn’t technically a Halloween movie, but very much has creepy vibes. Honestly, this movie was pushing it for me a little bit, as someone who doesn’t like scary movies (my heart was racing the whole time), but in the end, I really liked the movie. And now that I know what happens, I can watch it again without being scared lol Where you can watch: Amazon Prime
6. The Witches: So this hasn’t come out yet, but I’m really excited for it to be released this month! It’s being released on HBO on October 22 and stars Anne Hathaway, Octavia Spencer, Stanley Tucci, and Chris Rock — I have very high hopes for this one!! Where you can watch: HBO Max on October 22